Thursday, September 11, 2014

Fun With Baking

Fun With Baking

So my cranberry scones I made yesterday turned out great. Which was surprising because I thought I screwed up the batter. They were cinnamon cranberry scones with a lemon glaze. They would have been better with fresh cranberries and a bit more cinnamon though. Fresh cranberries aren't quite in season yet though, so I'll have to wait until the berry harvest to try again. The scones did go very well with my green tea to make a pleasant little tea time.

It was an interesting scone recipe I used because it didn't have any sugar in it apart from the glaze on top. I wasn't sure how they were going to be without the extra sweetness, but they tasted really good, the lemon glaze on top really helped pick up the flavor. It feels like it could be considered somewhat healthy with having no sugar in the actual scones too. The recipe didn't originally call for cinnamon, but I wanted to add it in for some more flavor. I had had cranberry scones at a bookstore a few weeks ago and they were really good, the cinnamon just adds something extra to it. 

I got a little more work done on my Hobbit hole embroidery yesterday too. There's still a long way to go but it's a slow process. I'd say I'm maybe 20% finished with it. I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done, which could very well be several months. 

My cooking project for today is snicker doodle cookies, at the request of my husband. Though maybe I should say it was more at the demand of my husband, he was pretty set on getting cookies soon when he decided that's what he wanted. He's a little obsessed with snicker doodles, he'd eat the whole batch in one night if he could. Unfortunate for him though I didn't have quite enough eggs to make the full recipe, so I had to half it. So now there's not a full batch, but he's probably better off that way. The cookies are chilling in the fridge right now so they can set and be firm enough to form in a little bit. I'm hoping I have time to bake them before I have to put the pork chops in for dinner. 

It's my Mom's special snicker doodle recipe, everyone is obsessed with these cookies. It's really easy to make, it just takes a bit of time especially with the chilling process. The best trick for cookies that I've learned from my Mom's snicker doodle and sugar cookie recipes, is that to get super light fluffy cookies use cream of tartar in the batter and make sure to chill the cookies. It helps them rise and get good and airy. Though this can cause them to not be super filling cookies and they get very addicting, so you have to be careful not to eat too many.
 
If anyone's interested in the recipes let me know and I'll start posting those. The scone recipe I got from pinterest. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment