Tuesday, September 16, 2014

About My Novel

About My Novel

As I said in my first post, I am working on two novels at the moment. One is pretty close to being done and the other have a fairly significant start to it. I thought that I would take some time to explain more about what my first novel is about. I'll go into more depth explaining the plan for the second one later.

My first novel doesn't have a title yet, mostly because I can't decide on one that's good enough. So a couple of my possible titles for it are Victory! or Omnaria, but both seem just a little too plain so I'm trying to think of something better.  The story has lots of characters throughout it but the few main characters are Victory Storm, Luke Stratton, Harvey, Severianus, Demitri, and Micah. I have a lot of fun with writing stories with naming things. It's a random passion of mine to name things. Most of the names in this book were stolen or inspired by a lot of different books and movies that I love. The main character, Victory I didn't steal from anywhere though, that one just kind of came to me. Her name fits really well into her role in the story later on as well since she helps to win the victory. Luke, I stole from Star Wars of course and his last name I took from one of my favorite book series, Both Sides of Time. Harvey, was from the old movie Harvey about a man who can see an invisible 6 foot tall white rabbit. Severianus, came from Rowling's famous Severus, but I changed it to the Roman spelling to avoid any confusion and too much association with Harry Potter. Demitri, I changed the spelling on because I like this spelling better, but originally it came from the movie Anastasia. Micah, came from the TV show Charmed, from the episode where they travel back to old Salem. I don't purposely look to find these names for my characters, but names that I really like stick with me and as I'm writing they just come to my mind when I'm describing the characters. 

The original characters that influenced the names of my characters do play a little bit into the looks and actions that my characters have. For instance, Severianus is rather reclusive and dark just as Severus is, but by no means do they share all of the same traits. I like it when a name says a lot about a character, weather it's in symbolism, looks, or traits, and a lot of the time I don't even consciously think about the connections of the character's name, things just happen in the story that help make their names more significant and meaningful. 

My story begins with Victory and Luke, they are teenagers going to high school and facing everyday drama. Also Luke just happens to be madly in love with Victory and she barely knows that he exists. So along with Luke trying to get Victory to notice him they go to class, lunch, and drama club. They are putting on a production of Twelfth Night for the school play and Luke and Victory landed the roles of the twins. I just love it when Shakespeare plays randomly pop up in books and movies, though most of the time it happens to be A Midsummer Night's Dream, but Twelfth Night fit so much better in my story. Victory getting to play the brave Viola who has a case of mistaken identity. Even though everything at the school seems to be perfectly normal, one day this random boy Harvey shows up and changes everything. He is mysterious and no one knows where he came from and Victory is beyond fascinated by him, and he appears to be stalking her. Then one day Harvey transports Victory into another realm without any real warning. 

This new realm is the land of Omnaria, which is a beautiful forest land that has been locked in a long battle between the Revalia and Brudeaga armies for years. Severianus is the leader of the Revalia trying to overthrow the oppressive Brudeaga ruling class. The Revalia need Victory to help them but the Brudeaga find out that she arrived and steal her. So Severianus sends his most trusted spy, Demitri to go rescue her. Demitri gets her back and they begin to explain to her why she's there and what thye need her to do. The plan gets set into place and Victory goes and completes her task. 

 All the while through training and such, Victory and Demitri fall in love with each other. This love causes a real problem when it's brought up that Victory has to go back to her own realm. She has to make a choice of what to do, go back to the life she knows, or figure out if there is some way that would allow her to stay. 

The story has a lot of medieval influences all throughout, the main plot is very loosely based on the story of Judith. There is love, friendship, adventure, war, murder, and lots of challenges to face. The beautiful land of Omnaria has many surprises in store. What do you do when the man that you love is from a different realm?

I'm having a lot of fun writing this story and it's interesting to see how the traits of people I know end up in my characters. I'm hoping to have it done soon so that I can work on getting it published. I recently found out that it was a good bit under average word count though so I need to add a bit more to it. I'm not sure if I've described this new realm and fascinating characters quiet fully enough. So I'll be working on adding more to it and going through final edits. Then I'll be looking for publishers and hopefully be able to get it into print. I have 52,644 words now and hope to get it up past 70,000 at least, to be able to have a decent sized novel. 

I've got lots of work to do, I'll keep you posted. I'll keep posting about my other projects as well along with my random adventures. This weekend I'm going to a Comic Expo and I get to meet my favorite actress from Firefly, Jewel Staite. I also found out one of the authors I like Ellen Schreiber is going to be there to sign books, so I'm very excited. So I'll be sure to tell you all about my experience next week, and hopefully show you pictures of my awesome R2-D2 costume.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment