Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Story Update

Story Update


Sorry I haven't posted anything for a little while, but I haven't had much to post. I have gotten through editing and expanding 7 more pages of my novel, so now I'm up to 30 pages done. I've still got a good bit to go, but I feel like I'm slowly making it better. I've caught a few inconsistencies that I need to clear up later in the story and I've found a few places to expand things so I'm slowly bumping up the word count. It's hard to go through this process though I've found, there are a lot of decisions that need to be made from word choice to if something really belongs to if something can be elaborated more. I'm not the best at decisions, so it tends to take a while for me to decide things. With this it's even more difficult because I want to make everything perfect, so it could take a while to get through the whole novel. Hopefully though through this process I'll be able to get my word count up to a reasonable length, I am really finding that I didn't explain some things very fully. I'll get there though, I really want to get this story published, I know lots of my friends and family want to read it.

I haven't gotten any farther with my other story since I've been focused on my first story. It's a bit too confusing to try and work on them both at the same time, especially since the first one needs a lot of concentration right now. The ideas for the second aren't fully planned out either, I know where I want to take it but I'm not sure how to get there. I will give you a basic idea for what the second story is about though, since I promised to do that a while ago.

My second story is tentatively called The King's Return, I'm really not sure that that title will fit it any more though with were the focus of the story has shifted. I'm not so good with deciding titles. Basically it is a story about the couple that will be the parents of the second King Arthur. So there are characters who are typically found in King Arthur stories like Merlin and Morgan, though I haven't got to writing there parts yet. I don't have too much done on this story really, it's mostly an idea with around 50 pages started. I'm not sure yet which part of the story that I'm going to put the future king's birth yet, I'm thinking more towards the end. This story is really more going to focus on the prophecy of the second king, preparation for him, and the story of his parents.

It's focused somewhere in the late 1800's/early 1900's, I haven't quite decided what time would be best. I need a reason for the second Arthur to be born, so possibly World War I. So far I have the parents who are Lila and Henry, who have been childhood friends and sweethearts who finally get married. Lila has an overbearing mother, a sweet little sister, and an older brother who is Henry's best friend named Mark. They have a big fancy wedding and go off on their honeymoon to a beautiful lake. Lila has been visited by a woman who has told her the prophecy that she had about her being the mother of the second King Arthur. She gave Lila instructions to not tell anyone about this, not even Henry until the time is right. She told her people to watch out for and to make sure that she was careful and to make sure not to name the baby Arthur or his enemies would easily find him. Though now I'm not sure what to name the baby. The woman also said that Lila would be visited by several people after the birth that will help the baby stay safe and learn what he needs to know. Merlin will come to him to help guide him, he will help him get to Excalibur and train him properly.

It is going to get rather complex and many characters from the King Arthur tales will show up throughout the story. I've just got to figure out how to blend everything together and when will be the right time for the baby to be born. Somehow Lila has to explain the prophecy to Henry too. So I have a lot to work out, but I love the idea of the story and I think I have a decently strong start. Though I do wonder if I've went a bit to romance based in the beginning for where the story will eventually go.

For now I'm not going to work much on this story while I'm finishing up the first one, but of course I will update what's going to happen once I get back to working on it. I actually have several novel ideas to work on at some point, I do have another novel with a fairly decent start but I've been stuck on where to go with that one for years. I have so many stories that I want to tell, but I've got to get through this first one first and hopefully get it published. I will keep you all posted and maybe sometime I will give some outlined ideas that I have for other stories. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment